How to get started in the great sport of Speedway Karting

The NSWSKC provide the following information for anyone thinking of getting into karting:-


The NSWSKC is an affiliated KA club.

Joining a KA club will give you access to that club’s circuit for practice, as well as allowing you to participate in any club championship, social events, working bees and other club activities.

green flag


Once you are a member of an KA club you will need an KA licence. The licence comes with an KA Karting Manual, which outlines all the rules, regulations and operations of the KA. An KA Licence also deals with insurance while racing.


The karting industry in Australia is always keen to assist newcomers in entering and enjoying the sport. The many kart shops around Australia will be able to assist you with not only purchasing a kart, but also helping you maintain it and acquire the necessary tools and equipment.
Ask your local club or state association for the location of your nearest kart shop or look in your White pages or Yellow Pages.

Kart Shops that have involvement with our club are , Homebush Karts at Homebush , International Karting Distributors at Emu Plains as well Pro Kart Solutions on Facebook.


Most kart shops will also offer a range of safety gear – that is, full face helmets, race suits, racing boots, gloves and other optional safety gear such as padded rib vests and neck braces.

As well as kart shops, motorsport racegear shops carry ranges of karting gear and even motorcycle shops can be good for things like helmets and wet weather driving gear.

You will also need to complete a Safety Training Assessment and an Observed Licence Test.


Karting is a friendly, family-orientated sport and karters young and old are always happy to help out newcomers.

Make sure you ask lots of questions of members of your kart club, state association and local kart shop. It is often a good idea to plan your first trip to the kart track with your kart with someone you know so that they can help you with any questions you may have. Also, while at the circuit feel free to ask other competitors any questions. So often friends you make in karting will be friends for life.

Classes run at the NSWSKC club meetings

Cadet 9 (7 – 11 years) The purpose of this class is to teach young people to drive karts of restricted performance at a limited cost.  Competitors use a Comer Sw80 engine with a clutch or a Yamaha KT100J fitted with a restrictor plate.
Approx. Power – 6hp

Cadet 12 (10 – 12 years) Using the same principal of the Midgets class the Rookies use a Yamaha KT100J engine fitted with a restrictor plate.
Approx. Power – 8hp

KA4 (Junior) (12 – 16 years) With two weight divisions this class allows close competitive racing in karts with reliable engines (Yamaha KT100J) still fast enough to teach the basics of racecraft at a low cost. 
Approx. Power – 11hp

KA3 (Senior Clubman) (16+ years) Senior Clubman is the most popular class in Australia. Utilising the Yamaha KT100S, this class offers relatively low cost, yet fast and competitive racing. The Clubman class, as with all ‘controlled’ classes, uses a single brand and compound tyre, with wet weather tyres also an option for inclement conditions.
Approx. Power – 16hp

Senior KT Modified  (16+ years – This is a speedway specific class that allows modifications to the KT100s motor as well as modified exhaust and tyre rules .

Formula 100 (16+ years) This class is Australia's version of the 100cc international classes that are sanctioned by the world governing body, the CIK-FIA, for championships on an international level.  The technical requirements for engines are the same as the international CIK classes that are raced throughout the world.
Approx. Power – 32hp